Going Pro

on Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Although many of you might laugh at what I am about to say, I have to encapsulate this special moment in time. The most incredible thing happened yesterday that has never happened before, and may never happen again.

As most of you already know, John and I are bowling fanatics and I participate in a bowling league. So far this season, my bowling has been less than stellar, but this week at league more than made up for all the weeks of bad bowling. I bowled a 231. Yes, I said 231. That is up there with pro bowlers scores. Move over...hmmm, I was going to reference a pro bowler here, but I just realized that I don't know any! Anyway, back to the excitement at hand. Let me give you a play by play...it was the 3rd and final game of the night, we (we as in my team "Up Your Alley") were tied with our opponent 1 game to 1 game and really wanted to win the final game and take 3 out of 4 points for the night (2 points for 2 games won and a point for most overall pinfall). I started the game off with a 4 bagger. For those of you who don't know, each series of strikes in a row has a name (2 strikes = double, 3 strikes = turkey, 4 strikes = 4 bagger, 5 strikes = 5 bagger, 6 strikes = six pack, 7 strikes = seven in a row, and so on...). Getting four in a row was quite exciting in and of itself, as it is a rare occurrence for me. After that, I bowled 2 open frames (no strike or spare) and thought my streak was over. Then, miraculously, I bowled another 4 bagger! I finished off the game with a 9, to end at a whopping 231!!! This is a career best for me and for sure will put me at the top of this week's bowling highlights! I might even win "Bowler of the Week"!

So, now I'm thinking of going pro. I can just picture it now. All the glitz and glam of high stakes bowling tournaments (picture the movie "Kingpin"...Ernie McCracken vs. Roy Munson at the championship game, the crowd silently watching their every move, erupting in cheers at each strike, it all coming down to the 10th frame for all the glory...if you don't know what I'm talking about, you're missing out!). What a fabulous life that would be! Of course this will never happen (I'm not even sure that exists), but can't a girl dream?