The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

on Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Good: Westfield has a fabulous new mayor and he has fantastic ideas on how to revive the city. His vision is to make Westfield a fun, young, hip, ecclectic college town. John and I fully support this vision. We would love to see Westfield live up to its potential. We believe that our city can be a truly wonderful place to work and live, and we believe that Mayor Boulanger has the skills and know-how to get the job done. Plus, it doesn't hurt that Mayor Boulanger is the father of one of John's best friends :-) So, you're probably asking yourself "why is she talking about this now? The election was 3 months ago, so this is really old news."

Well, there are two reasons that I am bringing this up. First, John and I are really excited about all this (as mentioned above) and we are trying to become more involved with our community. We have spoken to Mayor Boulanger about our enthusiasm for his vision and our desire to help. Mayor Boulanger thinks it's great that people of our generation want to get more involved in civic life and believes that we can bring a fresh new perspective to the table. So, with Mayor Boulanger's blessing and assistance, we are each going to join a city committee. Not sure which ones yet, but I will keep y'all posted as soon as we know.

Second, to celebrate the beginning of Mayor Boulanger's first term, John and I were invited to, and attended, the Mayoral Inagural Ball this past Saturday night. It was a very festive and lavish event, and we were honored to be part of it. For your viewing pleasure, here are some pictures of the night:

The Bad: Believe it or not, I dropped my cell phone in the toilet this weekend! I left my phone at home on Saturday night, and when I got home I saw that I had some missed calls and voicemails. I had to pee so bad that I ran into the bathroom with my phone still in my hand and just as I lifted the lid, the phone slipped out of my hand and splash! So gross, I know. At least it happened in "clean water", if you know what I mean! But, sadly, the phone was fried. So, on Monday, I had to do battle with Verizon to get a new phone up and running. They originally told me that I would have to pay full retail price (which is usually $300 - $400), then they told me that I could get a new phone for a one year contract price (which is still quite expensive), then they told me I could get a new phone for $50, but I'd have to wait 3-4 business days for it to be shipped to me. But thanks to my superior negotiating skills, I was able to walk out of the store that day with a brand new phone for $50! I was quite pleased with that outcome!

The Ugly: I am not going to say much about this, as it is still too upsetting for me. One word: Superbowl. What a big fat disappointment. All that hard playing and record setting all season...all for nothing. Now, instead of being remembered as the best team ever, they'll now be remembered as the team who choked (against a wild card team where they were a two touchdown favorite, no less). I know that what they did this season is incredible, going 18-0 and all, but the only one that really mattered is the one they couldn't win. And don't even get me started on the fact that we lost to a Manning brother. Ugh!

And just as a follow up to my last post...the Taco Bell phenomenon continues. Last night, on my way home from dinner with John's parents, I passed the fast food restaurant yet again, and it was just as packed as last week. Unreal! Kind of makes me wish I had opened a franchise. That owner is laughing all the way to the bank!