Mother Nature...She Ain't No Friend of Mine

on Monday, February 25, 2008

Blinding sunshine, temps cruisin' up into the 40's, the sounds of melting ice dripping off of trees and houses, muddy puddles left behind by melting snow, all sorts of people out and about in the neighborhood running, walking their dog, taking a leisurely stroll, etc... My goodness...you might think it's spring in New England!!!

But wait! Not so fast. After a few glorious days, winter is rearing it's ugly head again. Tomorrow will bring a nasty wintry mix of snow, sleet, and rain followed by a week of temps in the 20's. Well, I don't know about you, but I am fed up with this! I want spring to be here already. I want sunshine. I want warm breezes. I want to see flowers sprouting and trees budding. I want the birds back! It has been a very long winter and I am officially done with it. I am dying to ride my bike, go for a jog where you actually go somewhere, play some tennis, go for a hike, eat ice cream (well, that's really a year-round activity for me, but I can somehow justify it in my mind when the weather is nice). I want to roll the car windows down and feel the wind on my face. I want to wear bright colors and open-toe shoes.

Yesterday I had visions of all these wonderful things. As Bailey and I were on our glorious hour and a half long walk soaking up the endless sunshine, I was thinking that this really might have been the turning point. Wonderful spring weather actually felt like it could be reality sooner rather than later. I could tell that Bailey felt it too. She strutted her stuff all over town like she knew we were on the verge on something fantastic. She had a renewed vigor in her step and a twinkle in her eye. I'm sure as all of my springtime visions were whirling around in my head, hers were too. Long walks with her beloved doggie-mama, playing fetch in the park, car rides with her head out the window, romping through the woods on our long hikes, swimming at our special spot, squirrels to chase everywhere! Oh, what a life to live!

Well, today we both got a big old slap in the face as we watched the weather report. Mother nature was only teasing us. Yesterday's fantastic weather is gone just as fast as it got here and we are reminded that we are far from being done with the winter blues. So, it's back to scarves and mittens, back to shoveling snow, back to running on the treadmill. Ugh! And we aren't the only ones that feel this way. Just this morning my mom and I were discussing developing a "two year plan" to move somewhere warm. A big part of the reason that I still suffer through this dreadful weather is because I want to be close to her. But, if she came with me somewhere warm?!? That would be perfect! All of my weather woes would be solved! Now I just need to convince my dad, my sister, my in-laws, my friends, and of course, my husband that we need to go south. Do you think I can do it?