Yeah, Baby!

on Tuesday, March 18, 2008

So, you can probably guess from the title of this post that I got the job!!! I am beyond excited and so ready for this change. For me, it's not just a job change. It's a career change.

Part of me (a very small part) feels a little guilty for abandoning the career that was my major in college, but after being in the working world for the past 5 years, I realized that finance was just not where my heart was. The only reason I really chose it in the first place was because I had to declare a major, math had always come easy to me, and I was blinded by dollar signs. In college, I thought that money equaled success and happiness. I have since learned otherwise. While it's nice to have, no amount of money will ever bring you true fulfillment.

Working in finance has afforded me many things (pun sort of intended!). I have made decent money and increased my earning power significantly over the past several years. I have been able to live the life I've wanted. I lived in a great (but very expensive) apartment in Boston for several years. I bought a house at the age of 24. I've gone on many fabulous vacations. I've been able to help financially support my husband's dreams. I've been comfortable. And it's been nice. But, the honest truth is I don't really like what I do. I'm bored. I'm frustrated. I cannot see myself doing this kind of work for the duration of my career. I don't know exactly what it is that I want to do, but I know it's not this.

After I made the scary decision that it was time for me to make a career change, I had to figure out what I wanted to do. So, I made a list. What are the things that I like most about my job and what is my job lacking? And after a lot of thinking, I realized that my favorite things to do are to be creative (and I don't necessarily mean in the painting a picture sense, but rather just innovating and finding new and better ways to do things) and to work with people. I want to feel like what I do makes a difference. And my current job gives me very little of that. Some days I feel like all I do is sit at a computer and crunch meaningless numbers. Fulfilling, huh?

So, with this information in hand, I set out on a search to find something that incorporates all the things that I enjoy and less of the things that I don't. And as fate would have it, I stumbled across this position accidentally. I never would have applied for it on my own because of my own self doubt. This is a zone 4 position. I know that means absolutely nothing to most of you, but here in the MM world, it's a pretty big deal. It's tough to get to that level and only the top performers and most experienced professionals are 4's. I don't know anyone here that has attained this level after only 5 years of professional experience. So, I pretty much figured that no one would consider me for a zone 4 position, especially in a field that I have very little experience in. Well, I guess I should not have doubted myself! My HR contact suggested that I consider this position. When I saw the job description, I couldn't believe it. It had me written all over it. I knew I could be a rock star in this job, but I just didn't think anyone would give me the chance to prove it. But, as luck and fate would have it, someone did. And I could not be more excited about it.

I am going to be working with the Operational Effectiveness organization to "Independently and regularly resolve situations affecting compliance, operational, and regulatory issues, utilizing in-depth knowledge of products, state/federal regulations, and company policy. Develops and implements procedures for resolving organizational compliance issues, making recommendations from a Divisional/cross-Divisional business perspective. Collaborates with business areas to develop or modify business operating policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory agencies and governances. Identifies training initiatives created by new regulations or knowledge areas needing further educational support and oversees and or develops and provides training." In addition, there will be a lot of process improvement work and a lot of collaboration with many different individuals across the organization. This position allows me to assess our business and come up with creative and innovative new or better ways to do what we do and then help people implement theses new processes. This position allows me to work with all sorts of people all the time. This position helps ensure that our company continues to operate in an efficient and compliant capacity. So, clearly this position embodies all that I am looking for in my career. How perfect is that?!?

Now all that's left to do is negotiate my transition date with my current manager. I know he'll want me to stay through first quarter close. I certainly don't want to go through yet another financial close process, but I can certainly get through it if necessary, because I know it's my last one ever!

So, on to a new adventure! I am so proud of myself for taking a huge risk and going outside of my comfort zone to try something new. I am proud of myself for going after and seizing this great opportunity that I once thought I'd never even have a shot at. I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. I have a feeling that this is the start of something really great!