Busting Out

on Sunday, February 1, 2009

Of my exercise rut. This is what I need to do. A little history on my love/hate relationship with health and exercise...


In high school, I was super active. I was a die hard cheerleader (and captain of the squad, thank you very much) and never thought twice about fitness, weight or health. I sauntered into college with absolutely no good health habits...no exercise, eating whatever I wanted, etc... Let's just say that pizza and coke were a staple in my diet. My roommates were much more avid exercisers than I...I'd wave goodbye to them as they headed off to the gym or out for a run while eating my pre-packaged fudge brownies (I cringe at the thought of this now).


After college, I moved to Boston. And, for the first time in my life, I joined a gym. I tried really hard to go, but I had a job that was sucking the life out of me between it's long hours and frequent travel, so the gym often got put on the back burner. But, I did start eating a lot healthier at this point. It was the first time in my life that I started cooking and paying attention to what I was eating. After a year, I moved into the city (from the Boston burbs) and a year after that I ditched the life sucking job. I also found a new gym. And I went a lot! And then...I got engaged!!! And, of course, I was even that much more motivated to get in the best shape ever because I wanted to look amazing on my wedding day. I think I succeeded! Check out these fierce muscles...



And this tiny little waist!


After the wedding, my fitness journey continued. I began training for (and ran) a marathon!


After the marathon, my working out got derailed a bit thanks to a pesky knee injury. But, alas, I healed and got back to exercising. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever gotten back to my pre-wedding/marathon training level. Back then, I had such a high level of dedication, motivation and success. I was a lean, mean exercising machine. But now, nearly three years later, I feel like I'm "phoning it in", as Jillian Michaels would say. And, as much as I hate to admit it, I am not looking as fierce as I was just a few short years ago. That's not to say that I'm looking bad, because I don't think I am by any means. I'm still wearing the same size clothes as I was back then. But, I just don't think I look as fit and trim, and I certainly don't feel like I am. So, I've decided it's time to stop making excuses. I am vowing that I will be feeling fierce again by Memorial Day, as I consider the start of summer. Here's the plan...

Cardio - I must do some serious cardio. That was the key to my fierceness back in 2006. Any kind of cardio will do, so I will split my time between the treadmill, the elliptical, turbo jam, tae bo, step, and every other cardio video I have. I will try new cardio classes. I will get out and walk the dog whenever I can. I will take a walk during my lunch breaks. I will just get moving more! At a minimum, I must put in at least 30 minutes of cardio everyday. No excuses! Even if I am tired, I can manage to walk 30 minutes on the tread. And on days I'm feeling super energized and motivated, I'll do more. I always feel amazing after a serious sweat session and I will use that knowledge as my motivation.

Weights - Any knowledgeable exerciser knows that weight training is essential to any fitness program, so I will be sure to include plenty of it. At least 3 days a week, I will pump some iron in one form or another. Whether it be free weights, videos, machines, resistance bands, etc... I will work my muscles from head to toe. I will make myself stronger than ever before.

I know this isn't some earth shattering plan, or even that interesting, but it helps me to put it in writing. Set a goal and see it in front of me. I've been think about this a lot, and talking to J about it even more, but it's now time to stop talking about it and get started. I'll be sure to keep you updated if you promise to keep me accountable.

Today I am thankful for my rockin' home gym and my fantastic mother who has practically furnished the whole thing. I will utilize my resources to their fullest to be my healthiest self possible.