My Gratitude

on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The world is a crazy place, and there is no shortage of pessimists out there to make sure that we all know just how crazy. From the TV, to the radio, to the Internet...some of the most horrific, unbelievably tragic things you've ever heard day after day. Today's headlines include "Husband killed hours before baby born" and "Girl, 12, trained to work as dominatrix". Even the sports headline on cnn.com today reads "Baseball's all-time All-Scandal Team". How does one stay positive in their life while being surrounded by the world's negativity, especially when we are inundated by it each and every day?

Personally, I try look for the positive, beautiful, wonderful aspects of my life, however small or unimportant they may seem. I acknowledge all that is wrong with the world, mourn the tragedies, and learn from other's terrible mistakes, but I try rise above and realize that there is so much more to life than what I see on the news or read on the Internet. Yes, I can get negative and be in a bad mood just like everyone else, but fortunately this is the exception for me, and not the norm. I know that for each bad thing there is, there is a good thing that outweighs it. I know that I have innumerable things in my life to be grateful for. So, today, I am forgetting about the negativity. Today I am going to recognize, honor, and be thankful for the wonderful things in my life.

Today I am thankful for:

  • warm sunshine after a cool, cloudy day
  • the way that seeing dogs riding in cars with their heads sticking out the window and their ears flapping in the wind makes me smile
  • how Bailey gets up each morning when I do and does a big, exaggerated stretch (usually accompanied by some sort of grunt) and then gets really excited to see me like she hasn't seen me in weeks
  • getting to see my husband each morning before I go to work, even though he is NOT a morning person and hates when I am happy and cheery in the morning because I AM a morning person
  • drinking a warm cup of coffee on my drive to work while listening to my favorite trashy, yet surprisingly funny and entertaining, morning radio show
  • finally having a job that I not only enjoy, but that also challenges me and gives me a rewarding sense of accomplishment
  • my mother, who I can honestly call my friend (and who calls me probably 5 times a day!)
  • my father, who I know would do anything for me
  • my healthy, beautiful, and smart siblings that I am incredibly proud of
  • my wonderfully charming, albeit modest, home that is my special little corner of the world
  • being married to a man that fills my heart with love, supports my dreams, challenges me, makes me laugh, and will get my blanket for me each night because he knows that I am always cold
  • my health and having the knowledge and motivation to constantly be working to take the best care of myself possible
  • my intelligence and my ability to use it
  • my compassionate and caring heart
  • being a friend to those that I love
  • being me, because I am unique.

I have so much to be grateful for each and every day and I am so blessed to have the life that I do.