Long Weekend Recap (and more thoughts on babies)

on Monday, July 7, 2008

Long weekends are usually so hard to come back from, but for some reason I feel refreshed and invigorated today and I am ready to take on the world. I have already been very productive this morning, and I am only taking a short break to write this blog post while I eat my mid-morning snack. Maybe my motivation today stems from the fact that I have been inexplicably unmotivated for the past few weeks, which is very out of character for me, or maybe it's because I had a great long weekend (more to come on that), but whatever the reason, I am so glad to be feeling fabulous and I feel a renewed desire to tackle any challenge that I face.

The long weekend recap...after being very disappointed about the cancellation of the fireworks and subsequent cancellation of our annual BBQ last Thursday (and then being very angry at the local weathermen when it was COMPLETELY DRY at fireworks time), I was very happy to wake up Friday morning to the realization that I had three glorious days off!

Friday consisted of a great workout, a lazy afternoon with the hubby, and then dinner and a comedy show with my in-laws. We had dinner at Carabba's (so super yummy!) and then saw a show at the Funny Bone Comedy Club in Manchester, CT. The headliner was Theo Von (I vaguely remembered seeing on MTV's Road Rules) who was surprisingly very funny. In fact, the host, opener and the headliner were all very funny, which is rare. It was a great night and a fun and different way to spend the 4th of July. We did manage to see a bit of the Springfield fireworks on our ride home, which was a nice way to end the evening.

Saturday was a friend-filled day for us. After having brunch with John's parents and grandparents, we headed over to one of John's friend's houses to watch the baseball game. After a few innings, we left there and went to our recently engaged friends house. Yes, that's right...Steph and Andy are engaged! It's so exciting for them...a baby on the way and now a wedding to plan. We spent the afternoon and early evening just chatting and snacking and having fun. John was unstoppable on the ping pong table as well, and went undefeated the entire day! I have to say, though, that the day gave me wicked baby fever :-) We spent the day with Steph and Andy, who as previously mentioned have a baby on the way, and with another couple, Joe and Christina (who is also pregnant), and thier 3 year old daughter Brooke (who was absolutely adorable!). Steph is about 14 weeks along and Christina is about 21 weeks and they spent much of the afternoon discussing pregnancy, labor, babies, parenthood, planning for their next, their growing families, etc... I was so engrossed in the conversation, even though I had very little to contribute, and I found myself a little sad that I was not experiencing the same excitment that these two pregnant (and glowing!) women were experiencing. I know that only a short while ago I posted about not being ready for that step, but I find myself quickly changing my tune. I am feeling more and more ready with each passing day. Although I still want to wait a little longer before taking that step, I feel confident that I am ready to be a great mother and I look forward to starting our family. Anywho...enough about that! We capped Saturday evening off with a movie at home (we watched "Untraceable" with Dianne Lane...not that good).

Sunday began with a hard workout, but that was only the beginning of my hard work. I don't know what got into me, but I spent the entire day cleaning the house like I've never done before. Laundry, dishes, sweeping, vacumming, mopping, scrubbing, washing, dusting...I deep cleaned the house top to bottom! I even cleaned and disinfected all of our gym equipment! In addition, I went to Walmart for some needed household items, I went grocery shopping, I cooked a fabulous dinner, and I took Ms. Bailey for a great long walk. What a fabulously productive day! I felt so good about all that I accomplished...our house is spotless (although it is always very clean, but now it is especially clean) and now I can start this new week with virtually nothing on my home to-do list. I love it!

On a final note for this Monday morning post...our city's fireworks have been rescheduled for August 3rd, my 27th birthday! How perfect is that?!?