Where did the weekend go?

on Monday, July 14, 2008

Seriously, where did it go? I cannot believe it is already Monday. How did this happen? It is just so unfair that beautiful summer weekends go by so darn fast. We did manage to take advantage of it a little bit, though.

On Saturday, John, Bailey and I took a drive up to Mohawk Trail State Park in Charlemont, MA for a little afternoon hike. Ha! More like killer hike! We thought that the walk from the car to the trail was tough, until we got to the trail. We should have known better when the trail marker said 1,711 ft. to the top. The trail seriously went straight up! All three of us were dying by ¼ of the way up. Bailey even laid down at one point right in the middle of the trail! But, if you know us, then you know that we were not about to quit. We pushed ourselves so hard, but we made it to the top! It was only when we reached the top that I realized that I forgot my camera in the car, so sorry…no pictures :-( But, let me just say that it was the most amazing view from up there. It made the hard hike totally worth it. Being on top of that mountain gave me such an exhilarating feeling! I felt so alive and so at peace. It was just another reminder of how amazing life truly is. We sat on this huge rock and just talked and enjoyed the beauty and the wonderful time together. Then, of course, we had to go down. I swear it was even steeper on the way down…very treacherous! But, thankfully we made it down safely (although John did take a bit of a spill at one point). And, as a reward for her hard work, we let Bailey go for a swim in the river to cool off, which of course she loved (she’s like a little fish in the water…a very talented swimmer indeed!). After the hike, we went over my mom’s house where we BBQ’d and drank margaritas (yuuuummmmm!) on her new patio. A wonderfully perfect summer day, if I do say so myself!

Yesterday was slightly more productive. After a great workout in the morning, I took my girlie (Bail, that is) to the park for some fun. After running around at the park, we went for a nice long walk. She loved it, and was totally exhausted by the time we got home. I managed to be rather productive as well. I went grocery shopping and did quite a bit of cleaning around the house. John had to take care of a few mini-emergencies at the house. Our toilet flusher broke and our washing machine was leaking (not a good weekend for plumbing at our house!). My Johnny is so handy though and he totally fixed both problems himself! I was a little nervous when I left for grocery shopping…our toilet was completely dismantled and spread out across our bathroom floor. I was even more nervous when I returned and saw the sawzall out. But, I should have had faith in my man, because our toilet flushes like a dream now! It’s funny what being a homeowner will do to you…it makes working toilets exciting! The washer is also now fixed. Although I wasn’t able to do my normal Sunday laundry (and will have to get it all done this week), I am relieved that we do not have to buy a new washer. All in all, a successful day of home ownership!

On another note, John is going away this weekend for a long weekend with the guys. I am already getting a little sad :-( I hate when he is gone, not only because I miss him terribly, but also because I am such a scaredy cat when I stay home alone. Thank goodness I have Bailey. Even though she wouldn’t hurt a fly, having her there makes me feel a little safer. I do have a little fun of my own this weekend. Friday night will be some quality time with dad (perhaps a night out on the town in Northampton) and Saturday is my best friend Crystal’s “Hat Party”. Yep, you guessed it…everyone has to wear funky hats. I know, it’s a little strange, but it’s totally Crystal and it will be so much fun. Plus, this Wednesday is her 27th birthday, so we’ll get to celebrate that as well.

Well, I’d better get this Monday morning going. Lots of work to do! Hope everyone has a fantastic week!