Drugs are for rich people

on Wednesday, January 28, 2009

So, last night I am running errands after bowling (which, btw, I rocked it last night...161, 190 and 214!!!)...Petco for dog food and CVS for gum, face wash, face lotion and my bff, Rhinocort. I get up to the pharmacy counter at CVS, happy as a little clam that my errands are nearly done and I can head home to have dinner with the hubs, and BAMMO! The pharmacy tech nearly gave me a heart attack with the following statement: "Are you aware of the copay on this?". Innocently, I say "No, why...what is it?". Here I am expecting maybe $30. Ha! Not even! She says "$75"!!! WHAT?!?!?! Are you kidding me? $75! For a little bottle of nasal spray that will last me like a month! I could not even believe what I was hearing! Needless to say, my response was "Forget that, I'll suffer through a runny nose". I probably could afford the copay, but I refuse to pay that solely based on principle. Unbelieveable!

Prescription coverage is a joke. What am I even paying for? How do people less fortunate than I afford their medications? Thankfully my Rhinocort is not a medical necessity, but what about people that need their medications to live? What do they do? It's so sad, so unfortunate and so unfair. Mr. Obama...we're counting on you to do something about this!

Since I am clearly not thankful for my prescription coverage plan, I am going to focus on something completely different. Today I am thankful for the technology skills I've accumulated throughout my professional career. My knowledge is being put to good use in a whole new way lately...helping my husband with his business!