Project Closet

on Sunday, January 18, 2009

A few months ago (OK, well almost 5 months ago), the hubby and I finally joined closets. See, prior to my sister coming to stay with us, John used the closet in the guest room because I was taking up the entire closet in our bedroom. Since we figured my sis would need a little closet space to store her things (which we eventually found out that she didn't...she preferred to throw all of her things all over the floor and furniture), we cleaned it out and John moved his clothes into our bedroom closet. So, in one day my closet space got cut in half :-( But, being the good wife that I am, I rearranged things and made room. And it was sort of working for a while. But, as time has gone by, things have become a little less organized and a little more messy (and by a little, I mean a lot).

So, this weekend, it finally got the best of me. My recent obsession with organization led me to take on a closet organization project. It only took $40 and a few hours and voila! A beautifully organized closet. The biggest project was the shoe organization. I bought 30 plastic containers at Ocean State Job Lot for $1.29 a piece (hence, the $40) and then took pictures of each pair of shoes I own, printed the picture and then taped the picture to the container holding that pair of shoes. Then, I organized all the hanging items by type and color, and then organized the folded items the same way (by type, by color). It came out so great, and I think the closet is going to be so much more functional than it was before. Yay!

The explosion, I mean closet, before the organization project...


See how disorganized my shoes had become?



And my folded items were in complete disarray...


So, after taking everything out of the closet, I photographed all the shoes like this...

Printed all the pictures, affixed them to the containers and then neatly stacked the containers in the closet...


See how neat, clean and organized it is now?


And look how everything is organized by color! The best!

I love organization! It makes life so much easier, and makes storage areas so much prettier!

Today I am thankful for the drive I have inside that has enabled me to follow through on so many projects lately that I've been wanting to do for so, so long. I hope that whatever it is that has gotten me up and going stays around for a long time...I may just get my entire to-do list done!