Triple Tragedy

on Friday, June 26, 2009

Since I got home from work early today (outrunning crazy thunderstorms!), I figured I'd catch up on my blogging...Gina and Brett's wedding, Father's Day, etc...but wouldn't you know it, the camera that all the pictures are on are in my hubby's truck, and he isn't home :-( So, those posts are going to have to wait.

In the meantime, I thought I'd address the only news headline out there right now, MJ's death. Yesterday when I was driving home from work (ok, I was driving to the mall for a quick shopping trip before heading home (got some good stuff too!)) and I was scanning through my channels and realized that MJ was playing on 3 of them. I thought it was weird, but didn't understand it until I heard the announcement. I was shocked and saddened. Although he had a questionable reputation around the boys (my mom calls him a "diddler"), his talent was undeniable. Every radio station has been playing his music and with every song that comes on I think "Wow, I forgot about this one. I love this song too!!!"). Thriller, Bad, Beat It, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, Do You Remember, Black or White, Billie Jean, Dirty Dianna, PYT, I could go on and on and on! Hearing all of these incredible songs made me come to one conclusion...the most tragic part about all of this is realizing how amazingly talented he was...truly a rare and unmatched talent...and how it seems to have all gone by the wayside, overshadowed by accusations and really crazy stunts (baby over the balcony anyone?). Although I don't like to make excuses for anyone, I cannot even imagine what a childhood filled with abuse and a lifetime in the constant spotlight will do to you. Regardless, I hope he finds the peace in death that he could not find in life. And, I wish nothing but the best for his children. And, I know that his awesome music will live on forever.

Also, I'd like to acknowledge Farrah Fawcett's death, too. A tragedy by anyone's standards. That bastard cancer has struck again. It makes me sick. I just feel like her death has been so overshadowed by Michael's death that she is not getting the recognition and attention she deserves, so I want to take this opportunity to honor her as well.

And, then Ed McMahon too? Star Search was my favorite tv show growing up. And, who didn't have dreams of the Publisher's Clearning House Prize Patrol showing up a your doorstep with a giant check?

These things really do come in 3's.